Friday, January 25, 2008

Chess Talk Radio

There are times in life, as in chess, when you follow your instincts because you are unable to know for certain what the correct move is. That is what happened to me on Monday morning.

I awoke to an e-mail from Jason Payn, who produces a talk show on BSport Radio in Auckland, New Zealand. Having seen my tribute to Bobby Fischer, Payn requested 7 to 8 minutes of my time for a phone interview (at 12:40 pm EST Monday) on a radio show hosted by Ian Smith, Dean Lonergan, and Nathan Rarere.

Somehow I felt it was the wrong move for me, just as sometimes I heed my intuition in a complicated middlegame. Thus, I never followed up on Payn's offer. Still, I am flattered that someone, in as faraway a place as New Zealand, could read my blog post and like it so much!